Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Intersection of Happy and Sad

The internet has been infected with some particularly virulent memes recently, and no I'm not talking about keyboard cat or three wolf night. Today it seemed like everywhere I went people were talking about the best and worst things, or, even better, things that were both. Not wanting to be left behind, I thought I'd join the in-crowd (see Facebook quiz, I'm still trying hard to be cool).

So here we go, let's put the bests first, in no particular order:
  • Kissing my 4 year old on top of his head
  • Sitting up at night with my 6 year old in the top bunk and talking until he can fall asleep. We have our best conversations when he has insomnia
  • Holding my boys when they were infants, or toddlers, or in preschool, or...just holding them no matter how old they are
  • Watching my boys play together, and seeing how much they enjoy each other
  • 1991
  • Painting
  • Driving - alone, for long distances, preferably somewhere I've never been before
  • Thinking about possibilities, for renovating the house, vacation, supper, my future, anything really.
  • Blueberries

And the worsts:
  • Hearing the alarm go of at 6:45 and knowing I have to get up
  • Naples, Italy
  • Seeing my boys hurt, physically, emotionally, it doesn't matter how
  • Letting people down
  • A $20,000 math mistake
  • Pneumonia
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • 2009 - even though far worse things actually happened to me in 2008, I hate 2009 more
  • Dealing with people who see in me their idea of who I must be instead of who I actually am.

And, for good measure, a few things that simultaneously make me happy and sad:
  • Dogs
  • Germany
  • Watching my boys grow up
  • 1987
  • Childhood
  • Ice cream
  • My son's family portrait


That's all for now. Time to play me off, keyboard cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment