Saturday, November 7, 2009

Yippie yi Ohhhhh to the Block Rockin Beats

My son loves techno. That's what he tells me anyway. He likes the beat and he likes the "robot" sound of it. I take no responsibility for this. It must come from the German side of his family.

He also likes Johnny Cash, more specifically Folsom Prison Blues, which I currently have in the heavy rotation playlist on my ipod. He sees to it that it gets extra heavy rotation.

His unusual combination of musical tastes got me thinking. If, like, me, you're addicted to Glee, you're already familiar with the episode where they try to do mash ups of songs that really, really don't go together.

If I were to remix Johny Cash as a techno artist, my first choice would be Ghost Riders in the Sky. Yes, I know he didn't write it, but he recorded it so it counts. I have the chorus
"Yippie yi Ohhhhh
Yippie yi yaaaaay
Ghost Riders in the sky
"
looping round and round in my head backed by a hard driving beat that drops off just as the words start. Unfortunately, because I'm not a techno artist, I can't get it out, as much as I really would like to, because maybe then it would go away.

As it turns out, someone has already made a techno song titled "Ghostriders." I did consider linking to it, but it's even more painful than the version in my head, and I just couldn't bring myself to inflict it on you.

Instead I'll embed this one. It's Cash's "I Walk the Line" all technofied, and actually not too bad, if, you know, you're into techno, like my son.

This is for you, B.

1 comment: